Tuesday 22 December 2015

From 1 to 1000 Horsepower

Yesterday the paddock rumours were confirmed, and the BBC opted to axe their broadcasting of Formula 1 from the 2016 season onwards. As a result, we can expect to see the 21 race terrestrial coverage on Channel 4 for at least the next 3 years. So, now that the quotes from Bernie, the Beeb and Channel 4 have been bandied about over the last 24 hours, I want to take a closer look at what this means for the presenters now that the BBC has relinquished its broadcasting rights.







Too often as a child I used to sit down in front of the TV only to be disappointed to tune into the promising sounding ‘Channel 4 Racing’ to see races with the focal point only having 1 horsepower. This being, err… a horse. Whatsmore, they dared to prance around Aintree, the former home of the British Grand Prix. But now it seems that Channel 4 is ready to graduate to the much faster and better smelling world of F1.

In the short term, Channel 4 and its promise of no in-race advert breaks is probably best for the sport. But I can only see this move leading to a fall in TV viewing figures. Channel 4 simply does not have the global portfolio of the BBC. Whatsmore, if there is anything to be taken from the last few years of the sport, then I would have thought that a further drop in TV audiences is something that F1 simply cannot risk. So I still believe that it is very much a case of ‘watch this space’ as to whether or not Channel 4 represents anything more than a Chelsea style ‘interim manager’ type role.

So with this in mind, I want to look at a more tangible outcome of this news and try to deduce what will happen to the BBC presenters?

And that's a wrap. The BBC F1 team.


I, along with many others, was hugely endeared to the BBC F1 team. Both Jake Humphrey and Suzi Perry were brilliant presenters of my favourite sport. The coverage perfectly channelled the spectacular, the technical, the funny and the serious sides of F1 and for that I shall miss it greatly. So what will become of this talented line-up?

Ecclestone praised the innovation that Channel 4 will bring to F1 as it previously did to the Paralympic games. But, they know the importance of a winning formula and so I would expect to see some of the members of the team make a direct move to Channel 4.

For me DC is a sure fire one to move to Channel 4 and I would hasten to add that he would be in an almost identical capacity to what he was for the BBC. For me, DC is a great presenter. He possesses the driver’s knowledge and perspective. His wit and criticism of his own racing career are genuinely funny additions to his style. Furthermore, his paddock presence can also bring a head-start to Channel 4. DC’s relationships with prominent figure heads will ensure interviews and immediate access that would simply be unavailable to a new presenter working for a new network. So Coulthard has to move to Channel 4 in my eyes.

As for Suzi Perry, it is perhaps a little more difficult to say. There is no denying that the timing of this news places the ball directly in her court, so to speak. Perry can leave the paddock now to present Top Gear, something for which she is widely tooted. Although Suzi turned down the offer for the show’s rebranding back in 2002, and has repeatedly denied a move to the motoring show on account of the busy schedule of F1, as this commitment is no longer, and now that Suzi is back on the job market, Top Gear seems like an apt and obvious destination. She can make the switch without any backlash from her F1 faithful. So the door is wide open for Suzi. 

Could Suzi Perry be about to join Chris Evans on Top Gear?


What about Lee McKenzie? I am a huge fan of hers. I think she is a massively underappreciated talent who still hasn’t had her big broadcasting break. Her past efforts of filling in as lead anchor for the F1 practice sessions and various races show her ability to easily make the step to become the face of Channel 4’s team. But as for her future, I am far less clear. For Lee, motorsport is more than just a career move, it is also a passion. So it makes sense for her to move with the sport. But Lee is also heavily tied up in the BBC with her Wimbledon, Six Nations and Commonwealth Games coverage. I sincerely hope Lee becomes the host of F1, but I think politics may play a deeper role in her future.

Even at the age of 67, I don’t think Eddie Jordan is ready to leave F1. I think he wants to remain a presenter. Although he is fundamentally a shrewd business man, at this stage I doubt money is huge factor in whether or not he too will move to Channel 4. And so, I hope he too makes the move, if offered the job. Behind the shirts and behind the madness he offers an honest and critical view on the sport we love. Something I feel needs to continue. His 2015 interview with Bernie Ecclestone encapsulates the best of EJ and why he should remain an F1 presenter. Furthermore, his breaking of Hamilton’s move to Mercedes shows his genuine worth to any endeavour. F1 needs more personality, and so to lose EJ would be determent to this. I hope he stays on ours screens for seasons to come.



As for the rest of the team, I am internally less clear cut. I have to admit to not being a huge fan of Ben Edwards’ commentary so I am ambivalent so as to whether or not he moves over too. Tom Clarkson has not been around long enough for me to be sure as to whether or not he can be an asset to retain, or to be replaced by one of Channel 4’s own. And McNish will most likely remain in his BBC Radio 5Live capacity. Even less clear is what will happen to the unsung talents off camera. Those people who are responsible for the fantastic editing of the show. These are men and women who face a Christmas without the certainty of employment and arguably suffer the most from this news.


Although the changing of broadcaster marked a fairly clean escape for the BBC on their budget drive, I worry about the repercussions for Formula 1. TV viewing figures are the cornerstone of the sport making this a massive story in my eyes. Once again we are placed firmly at the feet of Bernie’s latest decision and await the results. But in the near future, I await to see the journey Channel 4 undertake with the sport with their fresh and innovative style and what this means for the cast of BBC F1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment